Song Of The Day 12/7/2014: Vince Taylor & His Playboys - "Brand New Cadillac"


Song Of The Day Outtakes 2014: In the holiday spirit of not getting out of bed and completing most functions by proxy, from now until the week before Christmas I'm filling these newly renovated digs with cast-offs from many of this past year's theme weeks. These were songs that were scheduled to be part of theme weeks but were unceremoniously dropped, probably because they weren't as funny as what replaced them. Or, in at least one case that I can think of, they were so odd they would have derailed the week. Or I felt they were so good they didn't deserved to get washed out by the rest of the week, so I tossed them in the end of the year's odds-and-sods clusterfreak. I don't know. To be honest I'm writing these descriptions from my annual winter solstice retreat atop Mount Aconcagua and I'm a little flighty. I forgot how much massive nosebleeds interrupt my concentration.

Starting out this week is Vince Taylor's "Brand New Cadillac," which was cut from the theme week Lesser Known Originals. The version we're probably all familiar with was on the Clash's London Calling album. There's a bit more of a story on Taylor's version. I found it on one of those quickly-strewn together Spotify compilations, this one on UK rockers before the British Invasion, which contained enough dandyisms for its own theme week. Vince Taylor also maintained a cabal of Playboys whose names and specific functions are lost in the sea of personnel information I'm not going to look at right now. I'm still too winded from the blog redesign to empathize with the hired help.

Comments