Songs Of The Day 5/21/2012: 16 Featuring Robin Gibb, 1949-2012

In a trio of musical brothers whose first distinguishing character was that of vulnerability, Robin Gibb sounded like the one with least left to lose. I don't mean he was the least of the three -- I mean the Bee Gees songs with Robin on lead vocals were frequently the most desperate and aching. And very, very dark. Robin sang lead on the Bee Gees' two bleakest hit singles: "New York Mining Disaster 1941," sung by a miner trapped in a cave, and "I've Gotta Get A Message To You," sung by a murderer about to be executed.

The famous Bee Gees quaver was more Robin's than Barry's. His tremble always evoked the image of a lost man staring heavenwards, pleadingly. You could mock it if you liked, but once you heard it, Robin's voice went straight to your subconscious, where it sinisterly remains to this day.

This playlist of my personal Robin favorites only spans about ten years, between 1966 and 1975. Robin didn't feature on too many Bee Gees songs after they moved to Miami and went disco. (We can debate whether that move compromised their art, but it would be a short debate because it didn't.) I found 28 of my favorite Robin Gibb performances online this evening and managed to whittle it down by 12.

"How Love Was True"


"Glass House"


"Lum-De-Loo"


"New York Mining Disaster 1941"


"Craise Finton Kirk Royal Academy of Arts"


"Harry Braff"


"Down To Earth"


"I Started a Joke"


"I've Gotta Get A Message To You"


"Lamplight"


"Mother and Jack"


"2 Years On"


"Never Been Alone"


"I Don't Wanna Be The One"


"Voices"


"Come On Over"
1 comment

Popular Recent Posts