Song Of The Day 6/15/2012: Robert Fripp - "Preface/You Burn Me Up I'm A Cigarette"

Armed with an influx of gift card points, I splurged the other evening and repurchased Robert Fripp's 1979 album Exposure. I first bought Exposure in New York City in 1987. I've since misplaced it. The replacement copy arrived Thursday. It's a 2-disc set. The first disc contains the album as originally released. I'm wading through multiple explanations as to why this particular release wasn't exactly to Fripp's liking, but frankly, right now I'm too tired to absorb it all. (Here, you try.)

The second disc contains much of the same material with some switch-outs, lyric changes, and allegedly remixes of songs from the first disc, but to be quite honest with you my audio heathen ears can't discern the difference. Maybe I should hear it on headphones.[Note: I'm listening to the second disc right now, on headphones. The preceding commentary in this paragraph is bullshit. It's a much more present, in my opinion better, recording.]

These are the first two tracks from Exposure. The preface features brief appearances from Brian Eno and Peter Gabriel. The full-fledged song is sung by Daryl Hall. What I really wanted to post from this album, though, was "Disengage II" from the second disc, featuring what is probably Daryl Hall's most unique, most frantic vocal performance of all time. But I couldn't find it.

I also obtained King Crimson's In The Court Of The Crimson King the other night. I expect it will be here tomorrow.

You really shouldn't trust me with gift cards.

Comments