Song Of The Day 9/28/2012: Kiki Dee - "The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday"

This is a semi-crowdsourced SOTD, as Joseph Kinyon planted the bug in my ear a few weeks ago with a Facebook post that read, simply, "Kiki Dee." Most of us in America only knew her for two records. One was her duet with Elton John, "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart," which was Elton's biggest US single until his Princess Di rewrite of "Candle In The Wind." The other was an uptempo song Kiki did called "I've Got The Music In Me" which stopped just short of the US Top 10. Other than that, Kiki wasn't known for anything else on these shores, which is a shame because she had a great, upfront but very pure voice that sang some quality material. I really wanted to post a song she did called "Hungry Heart" (not the Bruce song), but couldn't find it. This song, released on the British Tamla/Motown label in 1970, conveys a lot of her earthbound charms as a vocalist. I love finding this kind of stuff.

Comments