Song Of The Day 10/18/2012: Melanie Rothman - "Today Is The First Day Of The Rest Of My Life"

I'm gonna come clean: I came upon this video through searching YouTube for the phrase "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." This was the first result. It's from a relatively unknown actress trying to make her way in NYC. I knew nothing of her. And the original draft of this post for Song Of The Day was dripping with irony -- "Yeah! I'm about to embark on a huge life change, and you know what I need? A show tune! This, my friends, is a motherfreakin' show tune!"

But you know what? I walked home tonight from a positively lovely evening with some great friends, and realized that Melanie is exactly the kind of person that I'm trying to organize my professional life around. This is who I give a damn about -- the artist. The hungry artist. The person that's found their devotion, refines their craft, works hard and frequently thanklessly, and believes in what they're doing. I envy those people endlessly. They're the people I want to support, and try to help. That's where I'm headed.

So, Melanie Rothman from NYC -- here's her website, casting directors -- thanks for reminding me not only that this is, in fact, the first day of the rest of my life, but who I will only care about for the rest of my days. The artist. Best of luck to you.

And sorry if you get some creeps following your Twitter account because of this, but I'm pretty sure they're fairly harmless.

Comments