Song Of The Day 5/10/2013: Reunion - "Life Is A Rock (But The Radio Rolled Me)"

So I've come out of karaoke retirement. It took one of the Three Imaginary Girls, but I did it. Dana formed this Facebook group called "Karaoke Party People" (actually it's "KARAOKE PARTY PEOPLE!"). Once a month they get together at a different karaoke joint in Seattle and do songs loosely based around a theme. I didn't start going until last month, when the group met at the Spectator Lounge in Queen Anne, whose karaoke nights are administered by the amazing Baby Ketten Karaoke company, who have chapters in Oregon and Washington. Go look at their song selection. Seriously. It's the greatest book in karaoke history. How good is it? The New York Times did an article on it. They have multiple Scott Walker songs. Multiple.

Anyway, the theme in April was the 1970's, so I whipped out Tom Waits' "Step Right Up" and Stevie Wonder's "He's Misstra Know-It-All." (I mean, come on, Baby Ketten has "Step Right Up.") Last night we met again, and the theme was "Fear Factor": Do a song that you've never done before because you're somewhat intimidated by it. I kind of had an issue because -- well, I don't really have, you know, stage fright, or song fright. My first choice was "Betrayed" from the Mel Brooks musical The Producers, which Baby Ketten has, but I didn't bet that Yen Wor Garden, which is where we went last night, would be likely to have it, and they didn't.

So today's Song Of The Day was my backup plan. They had it. I did better than I thought I would, but not as good as I could have. I'd been rehearsing "Betrayed" all week. I had that one nailed.

Jesus, karaoke...

Comments