Song Of The Day 5/6/2013: Tony Colton - "I Stand Accused"

I'm working on a longer post for this blog right now, one that will hopefully appear Monday afternoon, so to be honest I'm kind of phoning today's SOTD in. But it's a good one. Tony Colton's "I Stand Accused," from 1965, was covered by Elvis Costello & The Attractions on their 1980 album Get Happy!!, which remains my favorite Costello album, and my second favorite album of all time (still behind Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything?). Costello's version was closer in spirit to the Merseybeats' 1966 cover, which was pretty jacked up.

Tony Colton himself seems to have an interesting history -- from what I gather, he started in Swingin' London and in the present day is writing for country artists like George Strait, Steve Azar and James Otto. Apparently he was blacklisted by a lot of his British contemporaries. Read the whole link, I'll pick it up later.



Comments