Song Of The Day 5/9/2013: Lee "Scratch" Perry & The Upsetters - "Bucky Skank" (Blackboard Jungle Mixes)

Sometimes I schedule Songs Of The Day well in advance. Often it's when I stumble on a song in the normal course of surfing, and for whatever reason I decide to schedule it for a few weeks down the road, instead of the next available time slot. Sometimes I do it so far in advance that I forget exactly why I chose that song to be Song Of The Day. I must have had a reason for looking it up in the first place but it's since been forgotten. Today's SOTD is an example of that. I had the Upsetters' "Bucky Skank" on the schedule for at least a few weeks. I forgot why or how it got here. However, it's an amazing track. Some intrepid YouTuber was thoughtful enough to put three separate versions on one file, which he called the "Blackboard Jungle Mix," after the Upsetters' groundbreaking (and oft times reshuffled) dub album Upsetters 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle. I'll let someone else who's a real reggae historian take it from there.

I mean, I don't have a reggae historian handy or anything. If you're a reggae historian you can just take it from there. You can fax it to me.

Comments