Song Of The Day 6/24/2013: Les Charlots - "Sois érotique"

Scopitone Week: Les Charlots ("the clowns" or "the idiots" according to Wikipedia) appear to be France's equivalent of the Bonzo Dog Band: a bunch of talented musicians who lent their wares to the service of comedy. There is a legend that they went out on tour with the Rolling Stones in the late '60s. At that time the Stones were frequently late for their appearances. They were tardy so much that eventually Les Charlots started playing "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" to tease the crowd or goad the Stones. Mick Jagger was not... well, actually, from what I hear, he was kind of amused.

You can probably tell from viewing "Sois érotique" why I had no option but to put it up here. A straight-on parody of legendary lustmaster Serge Gainsbourg's "Je t'aime moi non plus," it's a little hard for me to make out the plot. But judging from the video, gentlemen who appear to be on the French version of Hee Haw aren't getting any, at least not as much as Gainsbourg does, and have to dress up as women to satiate their desires. I'm sure there's more to the story than that.

In fact, if any of my old buddies in France want to have a go at translating the lyrics (or if you're a journeyperson French translator yourself), that'd be great! I'd give you credit. I tried using the many translators available online, but they had their limits. According to Google Translate, the final lines of the song are "Yesterday I went to the doctor / And I'm gonna take a drug / Who will leave the teeth." Unless this is a mash note to novocaine, I don't think I'm getting anywhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd say Les charlots were a bit of the Bonzo Dog Band with Weird Al thrown in. They did like to parody the big hits of the day whether from Serge, Boris Vian or Jacques Dutronc.

Originally they were called Les Problèmes -- a name easier to translate to English -- and opened for Claude François, Johnny Hallyday, and Françoise Hardy. They were serious and skillful rock 'n' rollers, and recorded a fine album with Antoine (Antoine rencontre les Problèmes) in the mid-60s.

But then they went to Canada. We all know how that can change a man. Touring there with Antoine the met the Italian comedy band I Brutos (whom the actor Aldo Maccione was once a member of) and spun off into a different direction.

Charlot in French is the diminutive of Charles. It is also the name they refer to Charlie Chaplin as. Not the Tramp (or, I suppose, Le vagabond in French) nor Chaplin, but Charlot. Because of this, since the beginning of the 20th century, Charlot has been used to refer to someone who is a clown. And thus, Les charlots.