Song Of The Day 11/17/2013: XTC - "Day In Day Out"

This is another one of those housekeeping Songs Of The Day, where a song's been running through my head for the better part of a week, and for programming reasons (like last week's Quarterly Covers Report) I couldn't fit it in until the next open slot. When these songs appear in my head I usually don't have the presence of mind to jot down the impetus. Typically it's a trigger so nondescript or slight that remembering the exact moment it happened, ergo the reason it showed up, is next to impossible. I estimate that this song showed up in my head around Wednesday, possibly Thursday. Strike that, I'm pretty sure it was Wednesday. I don't think I was at home when it happened, but I don't remember where I was Wednesday. As far as what the trigger could have possibly been, I don't know what I have to offer. I just finished reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 last week, and started on Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. While the former does concern itself with some aspect of the nature of time, the second only does so in the fact that it's a narrative, and I've already figured out the narrator is untrustworthy in more than one respect, so I don't think this was a literary inspiration. It may have something to do with the undefined "countdown" (actually, it's more like a "countup") of "days" that I've been doing for the last four weeks (which I will discuss specifically soon -- I'm waiting for the moment that absolutely nobody is interested in it anymore, which I figure would be a great time to explain what it's all about). But in reality, this is the most I've bothered to conjecture about this song in the past week, and now that I've mentioned it I'm sure it won't come up again. Anyway, here's your modern rock throwback of the week from one of my favorite all-time bands, straight outta Swindon. Feel free to contextualize it to suit your own needs. Freedom's just another word for "someone shut this guy up."

Comments