Song Of The Day 11/2/2013: Wilco - "In A Future Age"


The music business is supposed to be cutthroat -- or at least it was, once -- so the further along I got into it, the more the truly good-hearted folks, the ones who went all-in for the music, stood out to me. In Los Angeles I was very fortunate to work alongside a few people who felt the way I did, but had much better business sense than me. I learned a lot from them and benefitted from their kindness and camaraderie. They are one less today.

Absolutely everyone who knew Joel Oberstein -- go down the list -- can only say great things about him. Nothing bad. I was lucky enough to share the same workspace with him every day for a few years. I think we both felt fortunate to be working in a situation where we honestly felt we could give back to the music we loved. As I got to know him better I realized giving was just part of Joel's DNA.

It's maddening to know that a man who truly deserved the best life had to offer was taken away so early, but somewhat reassuring to know that in terms of family and friends, he was one of the richest and most benevolent people I knew. His generosity will live on.

Thanks, Joel. Rest in peace.


Comments