Song Of The Day 3/27/2014: St. Vincent - "Regret"


New Music: St. Vincent is my favorite album release of the first quarter of 2014. Apparently it's a lot of people's favorite release of the year so far. It'd be great if we could come to a consensus about this right now and just cut back on the vetting process for the next nine months. I like "Regret" a lot because it sounds like the guitars were recorded through broken equipment. There's also a neat analog synthesizer that sounds like it was kidnapped from Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver sessions and forced to read in a foreign language. If you care to anthropomorphize synthesizers, that is. For some people it's of great benefit when trying to comprehend what other people are saying to them. I don't like to do it too much. I also think Annie Clark (she's human, she's not a synth) writes some gorgeous melodies and plays nice guitar lines. I also appreciate her ballsiness in voluntarily going grey. Unless she went that way involuntarily, in which case I'm very embarrassed about my assumptions

Comments