Song Of The Day 5/1/2016: “Kung Fu Fighting” 5 Ways

Quarterly Covers Report – The most recent monthly meet-up of my karaoke gang, the KPP if you want to do some tagging later, was at the Salmon Bay Eagles Club in the Ballard area of Seattle. The theme was '70s soft rock and disco. It could not be from 1980. It could not be from 1969. It had to be from the 1970's and not a moment sooner or later. I did Robbie Dupree's "Steal Away" on a technicality, as it was recorded in 1979, but released in 1980. We almost had a crisis with the first Christopher Cross album, but a little detective work showed that it came out in December 1979. That's cutting it pretty close, canvas-boy. Tell your pink flamingos to step it up. ('Cause that's pretty much all flamingos can do anyway.)

"Kung Fu Fighting" was not performed, but it could have been if any of us felt like being loose and fast with our ugly stereotype humor. It's happened before. When I got home at the ungodly hour of 1:30am I realized I hadn't gotten anything up for SOTD and Covers Week was starting, so seeing as how "Kung Fu Fighting" had somehow gotten to be uppermost in my mind I figured I'd just troll around the YouTubes and find one version. I found about thirteen. All of them were appropriate, including Robyn Hitchcock's version which I already knew and Peaches' which was frankly too faithful. So I'm loading them up today, giving you mass quantities since I really have nothing to say at this late hour. Three of them are in foreign languages: German, Dutch I believe, and another one I assume is Slavic but I can't make it out. It's a polka, if that helps. It usually does.

Robyn Hitchcock


Kandy


Patti Rothberg


De Strangers


Eläkeläiset