The Top Songs Of The Day of 2016: #10-2

The nine worst in the top 10.


10. Aztec Camera – “The Bugle Sounds Again”
Mar. 1



One of this year's personal theme songs. I'm not sure why.



9. David Bowie – “Absolute Beginners”
Jan. 15



The second-to-last in the Bowie series in January. This was the most self-expository post in the batch which explains part of the appeal. Also had a Labyrinth-inspired back tattoo which I'm sure helped.



8. Glen Campbell – “Guess I’m Dumb”
June 22



Another one from the Brian Wilson tribute week.



7. Whistling Jack Smith – “I Was Kaiser Bill’s Batman”
June 28


The arguable centerpiece of the Sincerely Yours, Sunbrite mixtape, which was kind of like my own Sgt. Pepper.



6. Amanda – “Cookie Santa”
Dec. 21



I changed the rules for the end-of-the-year countdown to allow for the late-December Christmas songs, because this humble track generated more first-day page views of any Song Of the Day in history.



5. KISS – “Rock and Roll All Nite”
Aug. 6



From the Week Of Lies story about the KISS Army. This was the premiere episode. It went downhill quickly.



4. The Evasions – “Wikka Wrap”
Jan. 22



This got more page views than any other song this year. I'd explain why it's #4 instead of #1 but then I'd have to go over that math again. I don't do math.



3. Cibo Matto – “Beef Jerky” + “Birthday Cake”
Apr. 26



From a week of food songs, from the most food-obsessed album of the '90s.



2. The Tonettes – “Teardrop Sea”
May 28



From the Stax Records week. How this generated such a mass of page views I've no idea, but it's heartening.

Tomorrow: Numero uno.


Alan Whicker, the object of affection in the Evasions' "Wikka Wrap."