Song Of The Day 1/22/2017: Mark Kozelek – “Send In the Clowns”

Quarterly Covers Report – These next two and a half weeks are gonna be a little weird, because the "Final 50" will be starting around the time the Quarterly Covers Report would normally have been scheduled to start, but with that pre-emption I'm gonna have to move the QCR up earlier. Then next week I'm bringing back a special feature people always seemed to like, and then we'll have three days I don't know what I'm going to do with, then we'll have the Final 50, and then on March 29 it's kaput. My Google calendar is weeping.
So this is the last QCR ever. It starts with Mark Kozelek of Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek fame singing Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns," from the Broadway show A Little Night Music. I sang this song at my monthly karaoke meet-up last Thursday night, the day before inauguration, when we didn't realize the full extent of how galvanizing the Saturday women's march would be. But last Thursday, as we were part of a scant crowd at the Seattle International District's legendary Bush Gardens, about a half hour after a fight broke out and had been quelled, with all of us sitting around in what Emily Dickinson would have called that "awful leisure," goddamn it, "Send In the Clowns" sung in the style of a post-calypso Robert Mitchum was exactly what the world needed.