My Rotten Tomatoes review of Martin Scorsese's "Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story"

I'm not sure Rotten Tomatoes will approve this review, so I'm posting it here for posterity. I gave the film four stars out of a possible five.
---
Not long after I moved from Seattle, I got a special invitation to see this film at a small screening at Tacoma's Grand Cinema. I was baffled and called up a friend of mine who also knew and worked with Stefan Van Dorp, whose footage was integral to the movie's narrative. Apparently word had gotten back to Dylan's camp (and ergo to Van Dorp) about my positive review of his album Shadows in the Night for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which explained the invitation. I found the film quite revelatory about the nuances of Dylan's mythology, and was astonished at some of the heretofore unknown events of the Rolling Thunder Revue that were, quite honestly, unbelievable. I don't want to spoil any of it for you here, but I imagine I might have to address some of it in my liner notes to Dylan's upcoming boxed set, The Bootleg Series: One Night in Boise, 1972, an as-yet-unheard solo performance of songs that weren't good enough for inclusion on Self-Portrait.

(More about the movie.)

(Why my review is hilarious [spoilers].)

(Why the last line of my review, in particular, is hilarious.)


Comments