Song Of The Day 8/18/2012: Camper Van Beethoven - "(I Was Born In A) Laundromat"

I drove to the store last night and put on the local "Jack" station. That's the kind of radio station that brags in its promos "We play what we want!" Which isn't exactly true. If the programmer suddenly got the urge to segue from Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" into a passage from Olivier Messiaen's Oiseaux Exotiques, I bet the program director wouldn't be too happy about it. Or if he wanted to do a "two-fer" featuring Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night" and Andre Williams' "Jailbait," some advertisers might call up to "review their agreement." Even if there was a one-two punch that made narrative sense like, say, the Beatles' "Run For Your Life" with the Louvin Brothers' "Knoxville Girl," that might make some soccer mom run a red light, and Arbitron couldn't track her. Freedom rock isn't free, amigo -- it's dayparted.

Anyway, the song I heard on the "Jack" station was Cracker's "Low," sung by David Lowery, which made me think of Camper Van Beethoven, which made me think of the great Key Lime Pie album, and here you go. A Song Of The Day programming decision because I play what I want!

Comments