Song Of The Day 2/26/2013: Iceage - "Ecstasy"

My New Year's resolution for 2013, in its original form, was to listen to one new album per day, every day of the year. This soon proved to be impossible, since there are some days when I just don't have time to sit down and listen to any new albums with a critical ear. However, there were quite a few days when I could listen to more than one new album, so I adjusted the resolution to "listen to as many new albums during each month as there are days in the month in question." So in January I'd have to listen to at least 31 albums, in February 28 albums, and so on. This proved workable; in fact I've gone over the quota both months of 2013 so far. And I've been keeping track of each album, making a list and trying to sum up as succinctly as possible what my impressions are of the albums I'm listening to. Why? Because the voices in my head tell me to. 

Anyway, so far this year I've heard 64 new albums. Out of that whole bunch, there are exactly two that made me flip out and proclaim that a new dawning was underway, I've seen the future of rock and roll and its name is etc. The first was Foxygen's We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors Of Peace and Magic, which had its day in the sun on this blog a few weeks ago. The other is You're Nothing from Copenhagen punk band Iceage. It's furious, hilarious, and over in less than half an hour. Here's the video for "Ecstasy" from that album.

So those are my two big favorites so far, but please be advised I haven't gotten around to the Josh Groban joint yet.

Comments