Song Of The Day 4/23/2013: Ace Spectrum - "Don't Send Nobody Else"

"Don't Send Nobody Else" was written by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson. Millie Jackson recorded it first in 1973, Ace Spectrum followed in 1974, and the modestly named Dynamic Superiors covered it in 1975. I like the Spectrum's version best, since it sounds closest to Thom Bell's work with the Spinners, who are sort of my gold standard for soul singles of that time. Ace Spectrum were from New York, made three albums, and apparently had a rotating door policy when it came to singing lead. This was their only hit, and even then it only made the Top 20 on the R&B charts. But they're one of those one-hit wonders of the time whose one hit was pretty much perfect. Like "I'm Doin' Fine Now" from New York City, or "Why Can't We Live Together" from Timmy Thomas, or "You Are My Starship" by Norman Connors, or "Kiss In The Dark" by Pink Lady, or "Hot Child in the City" by Nick Gilder, or "Disco Duck" by Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots... okay, now I'm just showing off.

I haven't mentioned my DJ gig tomorrow, have I?


Comments