Song Of The Day 9/6/2013: Joe Walsh - "Things"

Wednesday night I went to see the Eagles play at Key Arena for a review I finished for MSN. You recall that I have previously taken a somewhat dim view of this California-based band. I won't scoop my review of the show. It should be up after my editors have whacked it up with a polo mallet (don't know if you've noticed but I can go on a bit sometimes). However, I will reveal one aspect of the show that was truly heartening: Based on my own in-the-moment, audio straw poll, who's America's favorite Eagle? Joe. Joe Walsh.

Joe got the biggest ovations of the night. I assessed as much from listening to which Eagle's actual name was shouted out the most. Nobody screamed "Don!!!" Nobody screamed "Glenn!!!" But they screamed "Joooooe!!!!" And I was cheered by that. The general population bypasses the somber, lemony sarcasm, Whitmanesque isolation, druggily misogynist and polemic harangues of Don Henley. They evade the drunken, faux-sensual, frat-boy-in-the-badlands schtick of Glenn Frey. They head straight to Joe, neither arrogant nor conceding, cocky in a pleasant manner, a bag full of punchlines in his rear pocket, overall just happy to be here. That's my guy. I don't do well at protests or social mixers with the sorority. I'm going to hang out in the basement with the electrician. We might start a house fire so make sure you're parked near the frontage road.

Anyway. I like Joe Walsh. America likes Joe Walsh. In fact, America needs Joe Walsh. He's staying across the hall so don't leave your valuables in your room.

Comments

Anonymous said…
And it's all true. So true.