Song Of The Day 11/28/2013: John Grant - "Glacier"

Favorite Songs Of 2013: My friend in L.A. drew me into a discussion about John Grant just two nights ago ("Paul... this seems like someone you'd have an opinion on..."). I pshaw'ed: Well, of co-arse I've heard of John Grant! Do I look like a common ruffian? An unschooled rube? My stars! Then I waved my hand and asked the butler for more macaroons.

Actually, I said that "Glacier" was one of my five favorite songs of 2013, but I didn't go into detail as to why. Since I planned this week's songs a good week in advance I probably had a green light to talk more fully about it by the time my friend asked for my opinion about Grant. But "Glacier" is one of those songs where I feel it's probably better for me to shut up and let people listen, as I was rendered mute the first time I heard it.

That's probably not enough, is it? I suppose from one vantage point "Glacier" could be considered somewhat crudely constructed. It's a slow-developing song told in empathetic sadness, then unexpected, articulate rage, cushioned between one of the most heartbreaking, beautifully-written choruses I can recall: "This pain, it is a glacier moving through you..." and seriously, I'm not going to spoil the rest of the chorus for you. It's one of those sustained images that I feel fortunate enough to have stuck around long enough to hear without warning. You should too.

There, I've depleted my ration of sanctimony for the week. And hey, Happy Thanksgiving!


Comments