Song Of The Day 11/3/2013: Kimberley Rew - "Stomping All Over the World"

Kimberley Rew was the guitarist for The Soft Boys, but not only that: He was the happiest guitar player ever. I've mentioned this before but it bears repeating. When I saw him play during the Soft Boys reunion tour about a decade ago, he was extraordinarily happy. Like, off-his-meds happy. It rejuvenated my faith in guitar players. I had little patience for dour, introverted guitar players after that. Forget those axemen with contemptuous sneers and dismissive scowls. From that point forward every guitar player I saw had to have the galloping, frantic happiness of young cubs rushing across the meadow, trying to playfully beat each other to their next suckling appointment. Maybe it's not a coincidence that around the time of my raised expectations of guitarists, everybody started playing synthesizers. Gah.

Rew also wrote "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina & The Waves, for whom he also played guitar. And he did this solo thing in 1980 called "Stomping All Over the World." Here it is. Good Lord, he was happy.

Comments