Song Of The Day 2/21/2014: Nathan Lane - "Betrayed"



All right. I'd like to announce, if not the end of my karaoke career, the full realization that it's all downhill from here.

If you are from Seattle or Portland, I'm commanding you to visit any establishment that features karaoke from the company by the name Baby Ketten. This karaoke business is so distinctive that the New York Times did an article about them. The Grey Lady herself. You will not find a better karaoke selection anywhere in the 50 states. Some random selections: "Alex Chilton" by the Replacements. "Dream All Day" by the Posies. "Hyperballad" by Björk. "Reasons To Be Cheerful Pt. 3" by Ian Dury & The Blockheads. "Step Right Up" by Tom Waits. Forget finding any of those songs in any other book.

Last night our karaoke gang -- yes, I'm in a karaoke gang -- hit Baby Ketten at the Spectator in Queen Anne. It was our second visit. The last one was in April 2013. Ever since then, I've been obsessed with the possibility that I could do a couple of songs no other joint in the US has: "I Believe" from The Book of Mormon, and "Betrayed" from the musical version of Mel Brooks' The Producers. I have rehearsed both. Over a period of ten months. That's like freaking Olympic training.

So Thursday night was, for me, the result of all that obsession. I did both "I Believe" and "Betrayed" (and also cameo'ed on my friend Cal's rendition of Frank Ocean's "Super Rich Kids" -- I did the Earl Sweatshirt parts). "I Believe" came out better, all things considered. But after I finished "Betrayed," I realized I had just gone through the karaoke equivalent of the Super Bowl. This was not easy. And it wasn't perfect -- the backing music is off the beat in a couple of places, and I know it was that and not me because I've rehearsed this goddamn song for 10 months -- but it happened. It's done. I've done it. There will never be a sweeter moment than this. Just like the next five Seahawks Super Bowl victories aren't going to be as sweet as the first one.

This just adds to the whole closure thing I've been doing lately. Forget it. I'm moving up to the broadcast booth. I'm doing color commentary from here on out. I'm Troy Aikman now.

Anyway. That happened. Enjoy your weekend.


Comments