Song Of The Day 3/26/2014: Hurray For The Riff Raff - "The Body Electric"


New Music: Hurray For The Riff Raff's album Small Town Heroes is my favorite roots music album in recent memory. (Recent memory = probably about five months.) (Six if you're buying.) It appears to be a loose collective fronted by Alynda Lee Segarra, one of the relatively rare instances of a person who moved to New Orleans after Katrina. Possibly because of it. She appears to be a neighborly and generous person. Well, that's just what I saw in the bio, but I have no reason to think it's not true. Small Town Heroes is spare and quietly fervent. Hopes and fears. Actions and consequences. The devil's in the corner, but if he's not breaking things or offering anything of value I really don't care. Segarra's voice is as close to the hum of the universe as I've heard in recent memory. (Recent memory = around four years.) (Three if I'm buying.)

Photo: Josh Shoemaker


Comments

Anonymous said…
I love that chugging string section and the (I think they're called) Picardy Thirds. Maybe they're Worf-thirds, I don't know. But this is a great song.