Song Of The Day 4/11/2014: Charlie Dore - "Cheapskate Lullabyes"


Sub-Hit Wonders: I know my friend Rob Keefe and I have talked about Charlie Dore's "Pilot of the Airwaves" before, but I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only two people in the room who remembered it. (Well, no, Jennifer Parker would remember it too. There's no chance she wouldn't.) It reached #13 on the US pop charts in 1980, and upon its exit from the charts they must have melted down all the copies because I never heard it again until about a year ago. I quite enjoy the song.

Dore, from Middlesex UK, is a woman of many talents, including improv comedy and acting, and still makes recordings today. "Cheapskate Lullabyes" was released just three years ago. It's a bewitching slice of nostalgia that reminds me of Harry Nilsson's most wistful work. In fact the whole Cheapskate Lullabyes album is a remarkable record and I'm disappointed in myself in not noticing it when it came out. I'm going to take it out on myself later.

Actually, why don't I just share the entire album? Who's it gonna hurt? There, that'll be my penance. Whew, that was close. I also recommend the tracks "Milk Teeth" and "His Wife."





Comments