Mixtape #5: R&B Mix 1959-64


I had a lot of things I had to do last week, but instead I spent an inordinate amount of time making mixes on Soundcloud. Since I'm throwing most of this blog's creative energies, such as they are, into Black Music Month for the next few weeks, I thought I'd make a companion series focusing on my favorite era of R&B, from 1959 through... ahh, haven't decided on a terminus yet, but no earlier than 1975. Some of the songs on these mixes will overlap with certain Songs Of The Day between now and June 29, but since I'm shooting for 60-minute mixes the Soundcloud files will cover even more songs. Plus, as is my wont with these mixes or radio shows or wedding ceremonies I happen to be a part of, I'm presenting these songs to you not long after I've heard them myself for the first time, unevenness be damned.

The first edition focuses on songs that came out between 1959 and 1964. They're in very rough chronological order but I do go off-road in the beginning and end. Complete list of songs/artists available on the Soundcloud page, but you'll be partaking of people like Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, James Brown, Brook Benton, Major Lance and a bunch of others I might not have known about until last Friday evening when I slapped this thing together.

Enjoy.


Comments