Song Of The Day 12/12/2014: Don Armando's 2nd Ave. Rhumba Band - "Deputy Of Love"


Song Of The Day Outtakes 2014: This arch-disco number was cut from Fun With Spotify week. I'll make a confession right here -- I don't remember what Fun With Spotify week was all about. I know it involved some convoluted search concept that only an algorithmic satirist like myself would spend five minutes even contemplating, let alone turning it into an executable action. Whatever it was, I apparently was amused. That's half the battle, really.

Don Armando's 2nd Ave. Rhumba Band was a disco outfit who, like a few others of their assortment, had some very precise song topics and characterizations. "Deputy of Love," for example. Not necessarily an unfathomable or silly concept. Deputies have very specific subordinate duties, but still have some autocratic power. The problem is, whenever I think of deputies, I think of Don Knotts as Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show. And if there was ever a TV character that did not represent the definition of pulsing, half-agape, half-eros love and desire, it was... it was...

Have you ever typed out something you thought was wrong, then realized after you'd written it, that it actually couldn't be more right? Yeah. That just happened.

Other songs from the album of the same name from Armando's unit included "Goin' to a Showdown," "I'm An Indian Too," and two songs called "Compliment Your Leading Lady" and "How to Handle a Woman," for which I now have to lock myself into the study and take notes on a steno pad. Be back sometime next week.

Comments