Song Of The Day 12/15/2014: Kraftwerk - "The Man Machine"



Song Of The Day Outtakes 2014: First of all: Yes, the old blog template's back. I switched to a new one on Dec. 6. It was what they call one of those "responsive" templates. Which is not to say the old template was unresponsive, but I was gunning for something that looked more streamlined, had more of a contemporary presence. I liked how the new one looked. It was bold yet simple. There were a lot of features I liked about it. But there were two major issues: (a) Page views went down. For the same reason that page views went up when I started using this template, page views went down when I switched to the new one. What is that reason? I don't know. They just told me page views would be affected. And althogh I expected a page view drop in December because there's always a page view drop in the winter months, I didn't like how the numbers looked. And (b) I didn't like how the blog posts were showing up when they were posted to social media outlets. They cut out a lot of information and conversely put in metadata that was unnecessary and looked bad. Rather than work through a solution through investigation and hard work, I said "screw it" and turned everything back. But I'm still looking to change the template after the first of the year. I just thought we should have this talk now. Later tonight I'm going to break it to my children.

ANYWAY, today's song was cut from Hip Hop Samples week, which was one of my favorite theme weeks of the year. It's a sample from Kraftwerk, who wielded considerable influence over early hip hop via their appearance on the seminal (I haven't used that word in a few months, I'm allowed) "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaataa. "The Man Machine" was the basis for Fearless Four's "Rockin' It." I have visions of red leather and matching suede short boots. You think that's a good blog theme?

Comments