Song Of The Day 6/9/2015: William Bell – “Easy Comin' Out (Hard Goin' In)”


Supreme, Incredible, God-Like Champions of Understatement: Almost exactly a year ago I put William Bell’s “Everybody Loves a Winner”, a song of great personal significance and coincidence to me, my team of consultants and my life, up here for your review. Bell, not related to the last character Leonard Nimoy played on TV, was one of the most consistent yet frustratingly unheralded linchpins of Stax Records, having released 33 singles covering almost all of the Memphis label’s most active years from 1961 to 1975. I mean, jeez, look at all of these: “You Don’t Miss Your Water,” “Eloise,” “I Forgot To Be Your Lover” (which he co-wrote), “Born Under a Bad Sign” (which he also co-wrote), “Private Number” – what, do I need to hold your hand through this whole thing? You got Spotify for at least another three weeks until Apple Music steals all that Swedish thunder, use a search function whydontyou?

Bell moved to Mercury in 1976 and promptly had his biggest hit on the pop or R&B charts, “Tryin’ to Love Two.” It bears a passing resemblance to David Ruffin’s “Walk Away From Love.” But my favorite post-Stax Bell track is “Easy Comin’ Out (Hard Goin’ In),” about which, I admit, my filthy mind formed a salacious notion when I first heard it. It’s not nearly that bawdy, although the singer admits towards the end, “It would be so easy to walk on in if I didn’t have something to hide.” Hey, we all love Bingo Night.

Comments