Song Of The Day 9/3/2015: Bon Jovi vs. Coldplay – “Livin' La Vida”

M*A*S*H*U*P Week '15 – I’m not 100% convinced this one’s worthy of inclusion here, but what the hell. One day of filler. It’s not that it’s technically incompetent – in fact I think the reason I signed off on it was because it was very technically competent – but it doesn’t have the same grab-at-you factor as other pieces I’m sending you this week. Especially this coming Saturday’s. I can’t overstate how great Saturday’s SOTD is. In fact, why don’t you just come back on Saturday? Today and tomorrow will be for all the hardcore SOTD’ers, the ones who live in the “camp” down near Roswell. The rest of you can just check out. It’s a holiday weekend.

Anyway, this mashup pits Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ on a Prayer” against Coldplay’s “Viva La Vida.” What can I tell you? I never was the biggest admirer of Bon Jovi’s populist anthems to stick-to-it-ive-ness – though as a human being, Jon Bon Jovi is pretty freakin’ awesome, because of humanitarian things he does like this. And whither Coldplay, who inspires neither the intense love nor the heated loathing in me as they seem to do in others? I went to one of their shows once and they had an impressive metric ton or so of confetti. I don’t object to Chris Martin, really. He’s fairly self-aware and modest, except in those moments when he’s naming his children after pomaceous fruit.

Yeah, listen, I’ll see you on Saturday. Bring a 12-pack of Mickey's.