Song Of The Day 10/12/2015: Jonathan Richman – “That Summer Feeling”

You Pick the Artist IV – Andy Lewis gave me Jonathan Richman. I’ve seen Jonathan a few times, but the one I remember the most was at a movie theater in Nevada City, California on a Saturday afternoon. I think it was 1989. It was a Rocky & Bullwinkle matinee special. Jonathan lived in the area at the time and he brought his child to the show. We saw him as they came in. I feel it’s important to expose one’s children to the classics at as early an age as they can comprehend, so kudos to Jonathan. My date and I were there for re-examination purposes. To make sure we got everything right the first time. We did but we also caught a few nuances we missed. It’s a game of inches.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk about the important role the Modern Lovers’ “Roadrunner” played in my oldest child Lucie’s development. There’s an MP3 floating around somewhere of Lucie and I at the piano when she was around two years old. She’s singing “Roadrunner” while I’m playing the song’s grand total of two chords on the keys. She gave the proper six-beat count-off. Caught most of the lyrics that were vital to the song, especially the Stop & Shop. It’s too bad we didn’t wind up moving to Massachusetts like we almost did last year; then everything could have come full circle.

And now, just in time for autumn: My favorite Jonathan song is “That Summer Feeling,” which he recorded a couple of times. I’ve chosen the electrified version with the backup singers. I personally can vouch that everything in this song is about as true as you can get: a dissertation on the romanticization of youth and the distortion it can cause later on if you haven’t been using the right filters on your dream sequences.

Thanks, Andy!

Popular Recent Posts