Song Of The Day 1/1/2016: The Bonzo Dog Band – “The Intro and the Outro”

Welcome to 2016.

I don't have a prepared statement.

In fact I almost just plagiarized someone for the first time in my writing career, just for the sake of having something up here. It was a bunch of "standard disclaimers" written up to be one long paragraph. Quite funny. Other people have plagiarized it too. Here, go have a look at it. Funny, right? That would have exposed me, though. It would have blown the cover off this whole charade.

That picture's of Viv Stanshall, by the way. He was the ringleader of the Bonzo Dog Band, formerly the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. That picture exists merely as a standalone identification. I didn't have any other images ready. I was going to use a corporate image, one of those generic things they slip in PowerPoint presentations to simulate a formalized but congenial work environment in its ideal form. But they were all copyrighted and had those watermarks all over 'em, so I would have had to pay $500 or something to use them once. That's probably because the offices where they were created and copyrighted had formalized but congenial work environments. It all leads somewhere, man.

Anyway -- well, listen, I never know what to say in these commemorative situations. I should know. I'm supposed to be a writer. I'm supposed to have this written down in an index card file or something. Barring that, I could have been more conventionally festive about the coming of the new year. Or I could have been like a lot of my Facebook friends who said something like "GFY, 2015. You brought me misery and discontent. You ripped my internal order into shreds. You broke into my car and stole my iPad. In fact, I think you gave me lupus. You goddamn, stupid year, you. But I learned to let go, and 2016 is going to be kickass!!!!!!"

I don't know what 2016 is going to be like. Here's what I told my Facebook friends: "2016. It's inevitable. Hope your surprises are good ones." That'll have to do. It's sincere, at any rate.

All right, that's done. Let's move on.

By the way, that's really Eric Clapton playing the ukulele on this track.