Song Of The Day 1/4/2016: Joan Jett – “You Don’t Know What You’ve Got”

B-Sides Week '16 – This was the flip-side of "I Love Rock 'n' Roll,"the Arrows cover that probably was more responsible for putting a fork in disco* than "My Sharona" was. I feel we've established a trust here so I can come out with the truth: "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was not one of my favorites as a youth. I hadn't yet begun my counter-programming to erase the mortal fear of electric guitars da religion instilled in me at a young age. I think it's better how it turned out, though. A consumptive love of bassoons was not in the cards.

"You Don't Know What You've Got" was an original that actually appeared on Joan Jett's first solo album, Bad Reputation. This album was made before Joan had any Blackhearts. She didn't get Blackhearts 'til later. There were no Blackhearts on Bad Reputation. Then on the I Love Rock 'n' Roll album you've got Blackhearts coming out of the woodwork. So technically, on this single, you had Blackhearts on Side A, and no Blackhearts on Side B.

Did you know that the entry fee for the Pulitzer Prize is $50? And they'll take a look at anyone's work. Literally anyone.

*(Incidentally I really don't have it in for disco, and just to prove it we're having a disco theme happening in a couple weeks. Plus a mixtape.)