Song Of The Day 11/4/2016: The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy – “President Reagan’s Birthday Present”

I had to abandon this week's theme week. I'll tell you what was going to happen: I was going to make up a bunch of outlandish conspiracy theories that, for me, echoed the apparent mindset of most of the supporters that were shown on television of one of the two major party candidates in the race for President. I won't say which one specifically, but it's the one whose primary business concern was once erecting full-scale phalluses with his name emblazoned on the sides. Then each song for the week was going to reference the End Times or Nazis. Including but not limited to:

  • Tonio K. – “The Ballad of the Night the Clocks All Quit (And the Government Failed)”
  • Tom Waits – “The Earth Died Screaming”
  • Bill Fay – “Time of the Last Persecution” 
  • Puissance – “Mother of Disease” 
  • Leonard Nimoy – “Visit to a Sad Planet” 
  • Cabaret Soundtrack – “Tomorrow Belongs to Me”
I still may do the Puissance track, it's kind of a wonderful car wreck of orchestration and yelps. However, time got the best of me at work, and I was having a hard time coming up with conspiracy theories that weren't hackneyed. Mix in an unexpectedly busy week for a couple of other reasons, plus my sudden lame-duck approach to this whole feature, and the idea was toast. So we'll just close out the rest of the time until the election with presidential songs, including this bit of claustrophobia from the estimable Pat Fish and his Jazz Butcher Conspiracy. It's so fun to be able to fear the Russians again.