Introducing Star Time: After Hours


This is a new, Mixcloud-exclusive idea I came up with last week, after I realized the regular Star Time on Rainier Valley Radio probably wouldn't allow for the soul jazz episode I was planning, on account of most of the songs' length. That is, I could play those songs on the regular Star Time, but all the sets would only be two or three songs long since I'd have to break every half-hour. So I thought, why don't I just do a separate show with the Star Time brand, fill it with two extra-long sets of music, not say anything and throw it on the web? Why the hell not?

So what we got here is the pilot episode, Star Time: After Hours. The first episode focuses on soul- and funk-jazz of the '60s and '70s. Tell me what you think. If I'm happy with it I'll try and do about six a year. That's rather optimistic, isn't it? Enjoy.

ArtistSongYearLabel
Set 1
Les McCannBurnin' Coal1969Atlantic
The Three SoundsRepeat After Me1969Blue Note
Gene HarrisListen Here1972Blue Note
Ray Bryant TrioStick With It1970Atlantic
Brother Jack McDuffSilk and Soul1965Prestige
George BensonBluesadelic1969A&M
Lee MorganYes I Can, No You Can't1965Blue Note
Rahsaan Roland KirkOld Rugged Cross1972Atlantic
Set 2
Dexter WanselVoyager1978Philly Int'l
DeodatoCrabwalk1975MCA
George DukeNorth Beach1974MPS
Roy AyersIn the Limelight1967Atlantic
Lincoln ChaseFish Specie1973Paramount
Lonnie Liston SmithShadows1975Flying Dutchman
WarFour Cornered Room1972United Artists