Mixtape: Modern Conveniences

Kicking off the new year same way I kicked off last year: with a subgenre sweep a la Glamquake. This one's focused on the mod revival and some closely related work, framed by the moddest of revivalists, the Jam. It's a kickstart from some excitable men from England from about 1978 to 1986. Guitars and fast drums and fretting about not having figured out one's place in the universe, from bands who started fast and burned out brightly. (Bonus: Find a Pogue and both Tears For Fears in these bands and win a prize!)



Tracklist:
Intro: Paul Weller
The Jam - Away From the Numbers
The Jolt - I Can't Wait
New Adventures - Come On
The Chords - Maybe Tomorrow
Phil Daniels & the Cross - Kill Another Night
The Nips - Gabrielle
The Reaction - I Am a Case
The Accidents - Curtains for You
The Jags - Back of My Hand
The Prisoners - Don't Call My Name
Graduate - Acting My Age
Beat Direction - Looking for Emma Peel
Nine Below Zero - True Love is a Crime
The Moderns - Got to Have Pop
Squire - My Mind Goes Round In Circles
The Sports - Strangers on a Train
The Misters - City Walk
The Sussed - I've Got Me Parka
The Kick - Don't Ever Change
Private Sector - Just Wanna Stay Free
The Circles - Angry Voices
Small World - Love Is Dead
The Donkeys - What I Want
The Purple Hearts - Jimmy
Little Murders - Things Will Be Different
Back to Zero - Your Side of Heaven
No Shelter - Brooks Robinson's Camp
Secret Affair - Sound of Confusion
The Times - Red With Purple Flashes
The Gents - Give It to Me
The B-Team - All I Ever Wanted
The Merton Parkas - Put Me in the Picture
The Jam - Ghosts


Comments